Is Survey Junkie worth your time? Is it a legit platform that you can earn money on? These are common questions that people ask when they hear about Survey Junkie.
Survey Junkie is a survey site where you get paid for answering surveys, taking place in focus groups, and doing product testing, though most commonly, you’ll earn money from filling out surveys.
In this article, we’ll share our Survey Junkie review, walk you through how to sign up, talk about how to make money on the platform, and answer frequently asked questions.
How Does Survey Junkie Work?
Registration is free when you sign up to fill out online surveys on Survey Junkie. You must be from the United States, Canada, or Australia to participate in offers. Only one registration per person is allowed, and you must be age 16 or older.
Surveys vary in how much they pay out. Some may pay as little as 40 points, or 40 cents, and some may pay 200 points ($2) or more.
Survey Junkie also allows you to participate in focus groups, which can pay quite a bit more. Not only that, but some companies may send you products for you to test. This allows you to get free new products and money for your time.
Walkthrough of the Survey Junkie Sign-up Process
To sign up for Survey Junkie, head over to the website and click on Join Now. From there, you can simply sign up with your Google or Facebook account, or any other email account.
We recommend using a separate email address for Survey Junkie and other survey sites, as you may receive a lot of marketing and promotional emails, which will clutter your inbox.
After you sign up, you’ll be asked for your zip code, what country you live in, your date of birth, gender, first name, last name, and a password for your account.
Currently, Survey Junkie is only available in the US, Canada, and Australia.
You’ll earn 25 points just for signing up.
The next thing you’ll want to do is fill out your profile. This pops up when you join, and the beginning looks like the below screenshot:
You’ll answer 18 questions pertaining to various aspects of your demographics. You’ll earn 50 points once you complete this section.
You’ll then be presented with the main screen, which looks like the screenshot below:
On the left-hand side is a section for filling out additional profiles.
These profiles help Survey Junkie learn more about you, which gives you access to higher-paying surveys and increases your likelihood of qualifying for the surveys presented to you.
Each of these profiles will have you answer more additional questions about yourself.
From the time it took me to sign up for Survey Junkie, fill out my profile, and complete these additional profiles, I had earned 145 points, or $1.45. The process took approximately 15 minutes. I also earned an additional 25 points for verifying my email address.
Survey Junkie will also report that the average user qualifies for 1 in 4 surveys.
With that in mind, don’t give up if you don’t qualify for surveys frequently. Instead, keep trying so that you can continue to earn points.
You must earn at least 500 points to redeem a reward. 500 points are equivalent to $5 USD.
Is Survey Junkie Legit?
A very common question people have is, “Is Survey Junkie a scam?” Survey Junkie is a legitimate site where you can fill out surveys to earn money. Their customer service is well-rated though it may take a few days to get back to you as they have a small team that manages the millions of users on the platform.
Survey Junkie has a B rating with the Better Business Bureau and has an average 4.4 out of 5-star customer rating.
You won't get rich filling out surveys, but you can earn money while waiting around at a doctor’s office, sitting on the bus, or while watching TV. Survey Junkie is free to use, and the money you earn can pay for here-and-there expenses, like bus fare, pizza money, or in-app purchases on your mobile apps.
Pros and Cons of Survey Junkie
Let's talk about the pros and cons of Survey Junkie.
- Easy to use platform.
- Simple cash-out process once you reach 500 points.
- Many surveys to choose from.
- Free to use and super fast sign-up process (30 seconds or less).
- Earn 2-3 points even if you don't qualify for a survey.
- Surveys are best matched for you meaning you're more likely to qualify for surveys than some other survey platforms.
- You won't know what a survey is about until you take it.
- You may not be eligible for many surveys.
- You have to be quick to start a survey as they are first-come, first-serve.
- It is only available in the US, Canada, and Australia.
Survey Junkie Pulse
Survey Junkie Pulse is a browser extension provided for free by Survey Junkie. This extension monitors your internet usage data and grants rewards in return.
You’ll earn 150 points for signing up (after 30 days) and an additional 50 points per month for up to 12 months, as long as you keep the extension installed.
Survey Junkie notes that the extension collects data such as:
- What you search for.
- What websites you go to.
What apps you use.
- What products you shop for.
- What ads you watch.
The data they picked from you is anonymous, so no personal data is recorded.
On top of the free points earned each month, you’ll get access to occasional “guaranteed surveys,” which you will earn full points credit on even if you don’t qualify.
To make a long story short, using Survey Junkie Pulse will help you earn additional points and money on Survey Junkie’s platform.
How Do Survey Junkie's Points Work?
Survey Junkie uses a point system where one point equals one cent. Surveys have a point value that can range as low as a few points per survey – generally, these are the short surveys, called Survey Medleys – to over 200 points for longer surveys.
If you don't qualify for a survey, you will still earn 2 to 3 points for your time spent. While it may be frustrating to not qualify for a survey, it's nice to see that you're still given something for trying. As mentioned above, Survey Junkie claims the average user qualifies for 1 in 4 surveys.
Once you’ve earned 500 or more points, you can begin redeeming points for money or gift cards,
How to Effectively Make Money on Survey Junkie
Here are some tips to earn money effectively on Survey Junkie. These tips will improve your earnings per month, so take note.
- Fill out your profile: By filling out your profile, Survey Junkie will learn more information about you, which will help line you up with more surveys that you’ll qualify for. You’ll also get a small point bonus for filling out your profile, so there’s no reason not to.
- Do the Quickstart Checklist right away: Doing the quickstart list will earn you points right away and will continue to help Survey Junkie learn more about who you are. In turn, this qualifies you for more surveys and higher earning surveys.
- Download the app: By downloading the Survey Junkie app, you can earn money from your phone when you’re out and about. The website doesn’t respond too well on mobile devices so this is where the app shines.
- Answer truthfully: Once in a while, Survey Junkie might throw a random question at you, such as asking you which of the following are a color and then providing one answer, which is a color and three which are random other objects. This is one way Survey Junkie checks to see if you’re paying attention and answering honestly. If the system detects that you aren’t answering truthfully, you could be disqualified from answering future surveys.
- Focus on surveys that have high points and low time: Not all surveys are created equal. You may see two surveys that have the same point value, but one is estimated to take much longer than the other. In this case, focus on the surveys with high point values and low estimated completion times.
- Do more than just surveys: Getting involved in focus groups and product testing, which may occur once a month or less, will up your earnings as some of these other avenues of earning money on Survey Junkie can grant you $50 to $100.
Can You Actually Make Money On Survey Junkie?
You will not get rich doing surveys on Survey Junkie. That said, you will definitely be able to earn some side change, which could go to daily purchases such as coffee, fast food, or bus fare.
According to Survey Junkie's FAQ, you may cash out once you earn 500 points. This is equivalent to $5.
How Much Can You Earn on Survey Junkie Per Hour
It's difficult to determine how much money you'll earn per money on Survey Junkie, however, Survey Junkie reports that it's possible to earn upward of $10 per week or $40 per month by filling out surveys in your spare time.
How Much Can I Earn On Survey Junkie A Month?
Survey Junkie does not say how much you'll earn per month when filling out surveys. Depending on how often you qualify for a survey and how many you fill out per week, you can expect to earn up to $40 per month, unless you are a target demographic, in which case you may earn double that.
Another way to earn money on Survey Junkie is to become a Survey Junkie affiliate and refer others to the platform.
How Do I Get Paid On Survey Junkie?
Points on Survey Junkie are worth one cent each, and you'll need to earn 500 or more points to get paid. With Survey Junkie, you can get paid out via a gift card, a cash payment via PayPal, or a payment sent directly to your bank account.
To redeem your points, you’ll need to provide some additional information, depending on how you choose to cash out.
- Gift Cards: Gift cards are only available to US residents. You may need to do additional verification on a brief phone call with Survey Junkie’s customer service representatives before you can cash out with this method.
- PayPal: Getting paid via PayPal may require you to log into PayPal to confirm your PayPal account’s email address. For US users, your PayPal account must be verified, meaning you’ll need to link and confirm your bank account, verify a credit or debit card, and may need to verify your social security number.
- Bank Transfers: To get paid directly to your bank, you must provide a US bank account and routing number.
How Do I Contact Survey Junkie?
You may need to contact Survey Junkie if you have a technical issue or fill out a survey and don't receive credit. You can contact Survey Junkie with their online contact form, though you may need to wait a few business days for a response.
Survey Junkie also has an online FAQ section to answer common questions that you may have. When in doubt, check the FAQ first, and if your question isn't answered there, reach out via the online contact form.
Does Survey Junkie Have an Affiliate Program?
Yes, Survey Junkie has an affiliate program. One place that you can sign up to be a Survey Junkie affiliate is on ShareASale. Currently, there are multiple ways you can earn money as a Survey Junkie affiliate, but the easiest way is to get paid whenever someone signs up with your link.
To promote your link, you can use avenues such as email marketing, a blog, a YouTube channel, Facebook, or simply texting your link to your friends and family.
Alternatives to Survey Junkie
There are many survey sites out there that you can use as an alternative to Survey Junkie. Here are some:
Each of these sites allows you to earn fast cash online, and combining them will help you earn more money filling out online surveys than if you were to simply participate in one site alone.
Survey Junkie versus Swagbucks
Survey Junkie focuses specifically on surveys and similar offers. Swagbucks is more of a “pay to do things” platform where you can earn money in over a dozen ways. With Survey Junkie, your attention is focused on one primary thing, which is filling out surveys.
If you’re looking for one particular thing to do, use Survey Junkie. If you want a variety of tasks, Swagbucks will have that. Alternatively, you can use both to up your earnings.
Check out our Swagbucks review for more information on how to earn money on Swagbucks.
Is Survey Junkie Worth It?
All in all, Survey Junkie is worth it if you're looking for some extra money to spend on pizza and other small expenses. Here's why: You may not earn a lot of money off Survey Junkie, but you will still earn money that you didn't have previously. You could earn coffee money or bus money, which may save you upwards of $100 per month.
Survey Junkie is one of the better online surveys sites we’ve tested, and it’s an easy platform to use. You won’t earn a lot of money for your time, so you’ll have to ask yourself if there are better ways to earn side income. That said, Survey Junkie is great to earn some cash for 30 minutes here and there with little effort.
On top of that, if you qualify for product testing or focus groups, you can earn up upwards of $100 for participating.
Wrapping It Up
Online survey sites won't make you rich, but Survey Junkie is one of the higher earning survey sites out there.
You’ll have to ask yourself if filling out surveys is the best use of your time or can you find another side hustle to earn more money.
That said, for minimal effort and for those without a lot of time to spend each day, filling out surveys on Survey Junkie might be the perfect way to earn some side change.
Dave is a Certified Educator in Personal Finance (CEPF®) and is passionate about spreading financial literacy. He founded Clean Cut Finance in 2021 and has been featured on websites like Yahoo! Finance, MoneyGeeks, and GoBankingRates. In his spare time, Dave enjoys experimenting in the kitchen, racing simulation, and reading.